American Literature
Please post on one or more of the following books:
Death of a Salesman by Miller
The Moon is Down by Steinbeck
The Oxbow Incident by Clark
A Break with Charity by Rinaldi
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
FloydPorterDeathofasalesman
i did not like this book.
Barnes
Mrs. Dobbs
Farewell To Arms
My opinion of this book is not very good. The whole book was about a guy who fights in a war and finds his true love. It was just boring me to sleep every night. The only exciting parts of the book were when the soldiers became under fire or they fought back towards the enemy. So overall I thought this book was a very original book and boring...!
BottcherDobbsTheMoonIsDown
Personally, I didn't really like this book. All it was about was one country taking over another. From the very first sentence of the book, the country was already taken over and occupied by another. I thought the book just dragged on and was very boring.
Tuck
Mrs.Dobbs
Farewell To Arms
okay, this book was no doubt the worst book i have read so far. it was boring, and the language was annoying. i know that back then everthing was so 'lovely' and 'oh darling' but that was soo boring and way annoying. plus there were a bunch of words that i had to look up, way too many. Like carabineer, or something like that, it means soldier armed with a carabine... which is gun. why couldnt he just say that? i've never heard of carabineer being used in a conversation in my life.
worst book ever, i'm telling all the freshman i know not to read it if they get this class, and anyone who has this class next semester.
HugheyDobbsAFarewelltoArms
A Farewell to Arms is a love story set in Italy during World War I and contains many themes, notably religion, friendship, and love. I found the religious themes in this book the most interesting. Throughout it, it is stated many times that neither Henry nor Catherine have faith in a religion or believe in God. Even knowing full well that she is pregnant, Catherine chooses not to be married in a church thinking the formalities are unnecessary she states "I have no religion, [Henry] is my religion," The story ends with Henry losing his lover and his newly born baby, perhaps as punishment for his lack of faith in a higher power.
Paracha
Ms. Dobbs
Farwell To Arms
After reading this book, the first thing that came to my mind was that I disliked the ending. If I look at the book overall it was not so bad. Usually I don't like book about war but I can't say this book was terrible although it did get a little annoying. Hemingway tried to spice upthe book by putting in a few intense scenes but also by adding romance(love between Henry and Catherine), violence (war), religious controversy (refering to both Henry and Catherine not following a religion) and some what humor. I would probably rate it a 2.5.
GoodmanDobbsTheMoonisDown
The Moon is Down was one of the most dull and dry books I have ever read. It lacked interesting characters, a well-rounded plot, and had little to no conflict. The only activity that was more tiresome and grueling than reading this book, was doing the dialectical journal on it. In short, The Moon is Down is about a town that gets conquered during World War 2. At first the people are afraid to rebel but as time passes the conquerors grow afraid of the conquered. Overall, I rate this book a 1.5 out of 10.
HaskinsDobbsMyAntonia
This book was actually not bad. The story itself was mildly interesting. It was about a boy who was recounting his life and memories that revolved around a Bohemian girl named Antonia. Basically, this book was about a romance that never happened. His memories about her are interesting and there are many different stories in different settings and stages of their lives. I actually thought it was kind of interesting how their stories and experiances changed as they grew older.
PluckterDobbsTheCrucible
I personally did not like this book, though there was a lot of action in it,what was going on frustrated me. I thought it was ridiculous how those women were blamed for the craziest things and then were called witches. They didn't even really get a chance to defend themselves, and then they were sentenced to hang. Plus the only way for them to not be hung was to "confess" that they were a witch. Then when the great fear was all over, all the settlers saw how dumb they were and tried to compensate for the families losses, but nothing can compensate the worth of a person's life. Like I said there was a lot of things going on in the story, but I was just to frustrated with the plot of the book to be able to enjoy the book.
PluckterDobbsTheCrucible
This book I thought had an excellent plot. It thought the judges were very stupid to believe the girls and at the end of this book I hated the girls who made everyone look bad.
coledobbsmyantonia
I liked this book. it had a really good story line once you got going. What i liked most about it was how you got to know her from another persons perspective and not her own. To me how your friends describe you is a better testament of what you are like, rather than how you describe yourself.
PluckterDobbsTheMoonIsDown
This book was very dry and basically repeated the same things over and over again. It described the realities of war though really well. It's true that soldiers didn't really know what they were getting into going into war, and if they knew the honest truth a third of them probably wouldn't go. The whole book talked about the people starting to revolt and that they would never give up. Though the book never clearly stated this I'm sure the villagers either eliminated or ran out all of the enemy soldiers. This book basically summed up that humans would not stand being held captive forever, and that war is a sick warped reality that twists the world into turmoil, darkness, mistrust,and betrayal.
AMcMahonTheMoonIsDown
When I was reading The Moon Is Down,my mind kept wondering about other things. The book could hold my attention and I thought it was very boring. Personally I did not think it had a captivating story line to it. The Moon Is Down was about the end of World War 2 and how the town handled the defeat, and all its main details.
AlvaradoDobbs
Narritive of the Life of Federick Douglass,an American Slave
I thought this book was really interesting. It was not my favorite book, but it taught me alot more than I had already known about slavery in America. I've usually been required to read books from a slaveholders perspective and not a slave's, so it definitely enlightened me. I thought this book was very sad, even worse than A Farwell to Arms, because this really happened to these people. They were given almost nothing and what they were given wasn't very useful or considered "nice", they were property, not people with feelings. The only person I grew some liking to was Master Hugh's wife who taught Federick how to read and write, until she became cruel and more violent than her husband... Overall, I did like this book, it taught me alot about slaves and how they were treated and what they thought.
ChandlerDobbsMyAntonia
I really liked this book although it didn't meet my expectations with a happy,fairy tale ending. I liked the fact that Willa Cather told the story about Antonia, a Bohemian girl, from the perspective of a boy, Jim Burden. It was easy to imagine yourself in the story with the characters at different times.
Post a Comment