GrahamMoultonRebecca I felt this book was kind of predictable. It was like one of those scary movies that turns out exactly like you thought it would. Granted the house keeper threw a little screw ball in there, but she was not really relevant until she told the main character that she should just jump out of the window to save herself all the trouble she never faces. Overall the book was great. It had a decent begining, a good middle, but an unpredictable end. The endof the book was the only thing that i did not think would happen. I thought it would turn out a little different.
Ken Follett’s World War II spy thriller, Hornet Flight, is a novel that keeps the reader coming back for more. Through Follett’s use of vibrant imagery and suspenseful writing style, the reader’s becomes emotionally attached with the characters and their current situation; and after every chapter the reader is left asking with anticipation, “What will happen next?” Follett uses flamboyant language to transport the reader into the novel. The elaborate descriptions, though sometimes galling, help to show what a character feels, or what the setting is like. For example, in chapter 7, while describing the Hornet Moth, (“Herald thought the Tiger Moth was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen…”) it is possible for the reader to actually see the plane in their mind as well as if he were actually at the airfield staring at it. The organization of the chapters allows Follett to tell three stories simultaneously. Each story builds into an exciting climax in which all characters finally meet and the conflicts are resolved. Each chapter ends with a cliff hanger in which the reader is left with no choice but to read on to find out what will happen next. As with any action movie, suspense helps to drive the plot line and keep the reader on track, and Follett has made sure that his novel is not lacking in suspense. Ken Follett has put his skills to use in this riveting novel, and the outcome truly speaks for itself.
QueenMoultonAngelasAshes The Book I feel was gray and depressing. It was always raining, everyone was poor, death, and sickness came with the poverty and bad weather. The boy Frank despite losing three of his siblings, having an alcoholic father who spends all the wellfare money on booze instead of food for his family, he still seemed to keep going. I didn't like the fact that the mother had to lower her own standards by begging for change, left over food, and sleeping with fat old Laman Griffin to provide for her children after the father left them for good. Even though thats real life I didn't like reading about it. When they moved back to Ireland they took confession and church/school events serious, which I thought was crazy when all of them were habitualy sinners and even thought poor as dirt they still went everytime.$ One thing I thought was weird was the fact that the boys once they got in their teen years, they all went out in feilds of sheep together and "wanked" themselves. Even if it was back around World War two I dont think that is normal, funny, but very queer. I did like the end of the book when Frank made his money and worked his way back to America despite all the obstacles and poverty he went through. Good book.
I didn't like this book because it didn't spark my interest. I thought the plot was hard to follow and I did not understand much of the vocabulary that was used.
The main character is about my age and it was hard to identify with him.
Frank McCourt’s novel, Angela’s Ashes is not on the top of my list. The entire novel is super depressing and somewhat monotonous in that you can predict what is coming next. Malachy Sr. is the father of several children and a horrible husband to his wife Angela. Being poor, the family relies on every penny they get their hands on and the father ensures it to be wasted on alcohol in a local pub. Frank is the protagonist and the oldest son. You read the book from his point of view and you can feel the depression through his words. Frank is the only character that has hope and aspires to be something. Most of his siblings, neighbors, and relatives die quickly and this theme of death is dragged throughout the book. Malachy Jr. is Frank’s brother and he is the only other character that doesn’t die, or become ill, or have some other negative burden on his life. As Frank becomes a teen he takes on more responsibility for himself and gets a job running mail. He enjoys his job because he can dream about the future and save up to move to America. The move to America is Frank’s long term goal but it takes approximately 4 years to achieve. The family is always sinning and always repenting to the point where it seems that they don’t really care what they do as long as they are able to repent to wash it away. I hated this book because of the story line, depression, and when I completed it, I had not gained anything to contribute to my life.
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. I felt as though I could somewhat relate to James for the simple fact that we are both animal lovers. Also, because I have a job that requires working with animals and communicationg with their owners, I clearly understood most of his situations. Even though reading the book was time consuming, it was both an eye-opener and an enjoyable read. I would recommend it to anyone that asked.
I liked the book, Angela's Ashes. I picked this book to read, because I have always wanted to go to Ireland(since my relatives are Irish). I thought the book gave a good description of the Irish countryside and the Irish people. I really felt sorry for Frank McCourt. He was so poor. Many days he was cold and hungry, because the family could not afford food or heat. Even though Frank was very poor, he enjoyed his life and had great stories to tell. Overall, I thought Angela's Ashes was a good story.
Hey guys im in the middle of Hornet Flight and if you havent picked a book yet i highly recomend that you get it cuz its freakin sick. Its about a spy and a whole bunch of ppl that are somehow involved and theres sort of a love story in it. and yes theres RECON. involved but seriously its really good although its long its a breeze to read :)
This book is so depressing! When I first started reading it I considered choosing a different book, but once I got past the first chapter or two I enjoyed it a little more. I liked the descriptive writing style a lot. I could see the rainy town, the sad faces and the poverty clearly in my head. I thought it was a little nuts how they all were so faithful when it came to attending church after all the deaths and hardships the family had experienced. Even though this book was so sad, it was good because it reminded me that horrible events just like these happen to people every day, we just don't see it here in Cobb County.
Also I thought nit was amazing that Frank was so good in school despite all the bad things that happened to him. he had an alcoholic father spending the money on booze that was supposed to be spent on food for the family, three of his siblings died, a friend of his that he met in the hospital died, he had to watch his mother beg for food on the streets, and his peers made fun of him and his family for their poverty. It seemed to me that Frank was always worrying about his sins. But at times he had no other choice but to sin. If he didn't steal food there wasn't another way for him to feed himself and his family. Frank is a good kid despite his sins. He doesn't take anything for granted and he is so appreciative of the smallest things, like the time he got offered the job as a messenger boy. Overall, I think this was a good book.
I really appreciated how the author wrote his story so that the readers could connect to it. Though most of it was somewhat depressing and sad, the distress that the characters went through drew me in and allowed me to feel emotions for them as if we were old friends. I did not particularly love this book, but I am impressed by the author's story and the way he presented it. As far as the actual content of the story is concerned, I would prefer to read a book that leaves me in better spirits after every chapter, rather than feeling sorry for the characters.
Hornet Flight used great descriptive language as well as an enthralling plot which on a consistent basis had me staying up late not only for the test-date, but also because it was an enjoyable read. By using multiple people's point of views, one was able to see everything that could be in question, such as the enemies attack plan, whether or not one was being followed, and even one's emotional feelings toward another. Every chapter was filled with suspense, which helped the reader be guided through the book as well, for example when Harald decided to take the shortcut through the military base and happened to find out about the radar; you had no idea whether he was going to be shot, escape, or eaten by dogs. And the only was to find out was to keep reading, because you can't go to sleep with that on your mind.
MillerMoultonRebecca I enjoyed the book "Rebecca". It had a certain suspense, making you constantly wonder whats was going to happen next. I think it was a really bad idea when The Heroin wears Rebecca's dress to the ball, that was just asking for trouble. Maxim is always going to have feelings for Rebecca, who was talented and beautiful, and he can't cover them up; the Heroin is convinced that Maxim will never really love her. I think it was great when the divers found Rebecca and the ship, it was very unexpected when I was reading. When they automatically suspected suicide it really aggrivated me, because we know Maxin really killed her! Even though Rebecca refused Maxin divorce was a bad lady, living a secret life, having sickly relations with her own cousin, he had no right to kill her. It was sickning when Maxim tells the Heroin about Rebecca being pregnant with Favell's child. Maxim did a great job covering up the murder. I don't think anyone ever expected that it was a murder, it was always convinced to be a suicide. When the doctors say that Rebecca had cancer, it basically proves that it was a suiside death, but we know the truth, and so does Favell. I didn't really expect the ending, where the heroin and Maxim restore their marriage, and Rebecca's ghost stops haunting them. Mrs. Danvers in flames after Maxim gets home, kinda creepy.
I did not enjoy reading the book Rebecca. It was a very well written book, it is just not my type of book. the descriptions of the house and features around it basically painted a picture in my mind. it was a sad book and that the main reason why i didn't like it because i felt bad for her the entire book.
I did not enjoy reading this kind of story. The whole story was depressing to me. The whole story it was raining. The father was an alcholic with out a job. The family had two babies that ended up dieng. The family was very poor, and they lived in a poor flooded house. The family begged and picked up coal on the street. Everyone was very religious during the limric time period. At school the teachers would hit students for almost anything. The boys did some odd things. It was a good story line and showed a different aspect of life. I did not enjoy it that much though because it just put me in a down mood.
I would say this book is a very easy read. The short sentence structure made it an easy story to get through. Although I don't usually like reading gloomy books, this one was interesting in its own way. I do feel bad for the children having to deal with a drunk as a father and a lousy mom at times.
The book, Angela’s Ashes, is a memoir of Frank McCourt. Frank struggles with limitations due to his status in the world, being lower class, and also neglect from his parents. Even though the story was not a bright and cheerful one, because of it's depressing but real nature and gloomy weather, it was still a great read. I could relate to Frank in some parts of the story because I have been in a situation where my family had lots of difficulty with poverty, growing up in New York. Although I did not have an alcoholic parent, I do know what it's like trying to get by and keep your faith during hard times. Frank also struggles with the position of his morality even when he sees and condemns his father, who is much worse. He had to look past the many groups of people that looked down upon him throughout his life because of his lower class status. I, like Frank, kept my head up because eventually he gets out of the situation by earning enough money to leave Ireland. This is a great book to read and has a “happy” ending, but I wouldn't recommend this to someone that doesn’t like to read about the suffering of poverty.
BlanchetteMoultonAngela'sAshes Frank McCourt's memoir, Angela's Ashes, is one of the most powerful and inspirational books that I have ever read. I can truly relate to McCourt's character because I know what it is like to grow up as a member of the Catholic Church and I understand how it feels to experience your first communion and confirmation. The ways in which McCourt describes the Catholic Church and its leaders are humorous to me because I can relate the characters to people in my life. McCourt’s story is even more powerful to me because of the style in which he writes. He uses well known references and imagery to show the reader what it was like to grow up in Ireland and New York during the Great Depression. The fact that the book is based off of a man's actual childhood is incredible, especially with his alcoholic father leaving the family accompanied with the deaths of many of his younger siblings. Add in his depressed mother and it really is a wonder that he survived growing up at all. Due to the depressing nature of his childhood, I find it amazing that Frank McCourt is able to provide such an inspirational story.
Autobiographies (and non-fiction in general) are typically not my kind of book. Angela's Ashes, however, is a bit different. The book tells the story of Frank McCourt's early life in Ireland, living with his siblings and irresponsible parents. Plagued by poverty, sickness, and his father's inability to maintain a job, Frank ends up having to rely on himself to keep his life intact.
McCourt uses descriptive language and heavy imagery to describe his hardships living in Ireland. The book was, no doubt, far more enjoyable than I expected.
Angela’s Ashes, written Frank McCourt, is an amazing book. It can be depressing at times but once you get through the first couple chapters it is and easy read. The way the story is written makes you want to read more. It amazes me the life he lived. For me, I related our society today to the one McCourt lived in. Having to live through extreme poverty his whole childhood along with family deaths and an alcoholic father is hard enough. But taking all his experiences and hard times and creating something positive and being able to create a successful life from the ground up is just amazing. He being the age he was during that time and taking upon himself the responsibility to take care of his mother and brothers, it floors me how he carried out his life. Going from job to job and learning as much as he could along the way. Though he hit some personal speed bumps, he managed to work through them and continue to work towards what he wanted most. What I admired most was the fact that he didn’t allow his unfortunate childhood to hinder his dreams.
This book started out very dark and boring. I could not get hooked to it due to all the deaths and depression. After the first few chapters I starting to enjoy it a little more. Frank the main character encounters a lot in such a short time, with all the deaths and dealing with his drunken father. Angela, his mother, is constantly having children and is constantly dealing with there deaths. She is put into a state of depression which kind of puts a damper on her character. Overall this book was just OK. I would not read it again or recommend it to anyone in the future.
The fact that many people found this book to be boring still didn't stop me from reading it. I found it to be very light hearting and interesting. I love animals and I learned how strong of a love farmers really do have for their beloved animals. They're not just stock or money makers they become family. When James starting working in the little town of Dinsdale the farmers loathed him, but once they saw how much he truly cared for the animals they warmed up to him quickly. They even started to prefer him than Farnon. Farnon loved his job but at times would send wrong messages and I think he was Bipolar,but hey thats just me. If you’re not an animal lover and get bored really easily don't read this book. If you love animals and have patience for a story that kind of repeats itself you should read it. I really enjoyed it.
I actually really enjoyed the book Rebecca because it was very suspenseful. I would have never guessed from the beginning that the character Rebecca was actually living a secret life and was very deceitful during her marriage with Maxim. Even though Rebecca lied to Maxim, telling him she was pregnant with her cousin's baby, I still believe he needs to serve justice for murdering her. He completely got away with murder. I think it is very coincidental that it was ruled a suicide. The ending, where The Heroine and Maxim return to Manderley to find it bursting in flames was a very unpredictable ending, definitely putting a twist to the whole book. The novel kind of reminded me of the movie What Lies Beneath with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer, where Michelle starts noticing really weird things happening with her neighbors and with her husband, feeling as if she is being haunted. In both the novel and the movie, they live right on a lake and mysterious things happen, coming to find out that the main male role has secretly killed, the ex-wife or lover, and drowned her dead body in the lake, leaving the deaths very eerie.
I thought the book was just okay. What I did like about the book was how well Frank McCourt uses details and symbolism to describe his story, like the use the Limerick rain to symbolize the depressing nature of the book. Overall, I thought that the book was very sad and depressing to see the hardships, like losing his family one by one, and the poverty that Frank's family had to deal with.
29 comments:
FATHAMOULTONANGELA'S ASHES
GrahamMoultonRebecca
I felt this book was kind of predictable. It was like one of those scary movies that turns out exactly like you thought it would. Granted the house keeper threw a little screw ball in there, but she was not really relevant until she told the main character that she should just jump out of the window to save herself all the trouble she never faces. Overall the book was great. It had a decent begining, a good middle, but an unpredictable end. The endof the book was the only thing that i did not think would happen. I thought it would turn out a little different.
MonacoMoultonHornetFlight
Ken Follett’s World War II spy thriller, Hornet Flight, is a novel that keeps the reader coming back for more. Through Follett’s use of vibrant imagery and suspenseful writing style, the reader’s becomes emotionally attached with the characters and their current situation; and after every chapter the reader is left asking with anticipation, “What will happen next?”
Follett uses flamboyant language to transport the reader into the novel. The elaborate descriptions, though sometimes galling, help to show what a character feels, or what the setting is like. For example, in chapter 7, while describing the Hornet Moth, (“Herald thought the Tiger Moth was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen…”) it is possible for the reader to actually see the plane in their mind as well as if he were actually at the airfield staring at it.
The organization of the chapters allows Follett to tell three stories simultaneously. Each story builds into an exciting climax in which all characters finally meet and the conflicts are resolved. Each chapter ends with a cliff hanger in which the reader is left with no choice but to read on to find out what will happen next.
As with any action movie, suspense helps to drive the plot line and keep the reader on track, and Follett has made sure that his novel is not lacking in suspense. Ken Follett has put his skills to use in this riveting novel, and the outcome truly speaks for itself.
Johnson/Moulton/ Hornets Flight
QueenMoultonAngelasAshes
The Book I feel was gray and depressing. It was always raining, everyone was poor, death, and sickness came with the poverty and bad weather. The boy Frank despite losing three of his siblings, having an alcoholic father who spends all the wellfare money on booze instead of food for his family, he still seemed to keep going. I didn't like the fact that the mother had to lower her own standards by begging for change, left over food, and sleeping with fat old Laman Griffin to provide for her children after the father left them for good. Even though thats real life I didn't like reading about it. When they moved back to Ireland they took confession and church/school events serious, which I thought was crazy when all of them were habitualy sinners and even thought poor as dirt they still went everytime.$ One thing I thought was weird was the fact that the boys once they got in their teen years, they all went out in feilds of sheep together and "wanked" themselves. Even if it was back around World War two I dont think that is normal, funny, but very queer. I did like the end of the book when Frank made his money and worked his way back to America despite all the obstacles and poverty he went through. Good book.
FentonMoultonHornetFlight
I didn't like this book because it didn't spark my interest. I thought the plot was hard to follow and I did not understand much of the vocabulary that was used.
The main character is about my age and it was hard to identify with him.
BrittleMoultonAngelasAshes
Frank McCourt’s novel, Angela’s Ashes is not on the top of my list. The entire novel is super depressing and somewhat monotonous in that you can predict what is coming next. Malachy Sr. is the father of several children and a horrible husband to his wife Angela. Being poor, the family relies on every penny they get their hands on and the father ensures it to be wasted on alcohol in a local pub. Frank is the protagonist and the oldest son. You read the book from his point of view and you can feel the depression through his words. Frank is the only character that has hope and aspires to be something. Most of his siblings, neighbors, and relatives die quickly and this theme of death is dragged throughout the book. Malachy Jr. is Frank’s brother and he is the only other character that doesn’t die, or become ill, or have some other negative burden on his life. As Frank becomes a teen he takes on more responsibility for himself and gets a job running mail. He enjoys his job because he can dream about the future and save up to move to America. The move to America is Frank’s long term goal but it takes approximately 4 years to achieve. The family is always sinning and always repenting to the point where it seems that they don’t really care what they do as long as they are able to repent to wash it away. I hated this book because of the story line, depression, and when I completed it, I had not gained anything to contribute to my life.
RadcliffPorterAllCreaturesGreatand
Small
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. I felt as though
I could somewhat relate to James for the simple fact that we are both animal lovers. Also, because I have a job that requires working with animals and communicationg with their owners, I clearly understood most of his situations. Even though reading the book was time consuming, it was both an eye-opener and an enjoyable read. I would recommend it to anyone that asked.
McNallyMoultonAngela'sAshes
I liked the book, Angela's Ashes. I picked this book to read, because I have always wanted to go to Ireland(since my relatives are Irish). I thought the book gave a good description of the Irish countryside and the Irish people. I really felt sorry for Frank McCourt. He was so poor. Many days he was cold and hungry, because the family could not afford food or heat. Even though Frank was very poor, he enjoyed his life and had great stories to tell. Overall, I thought Angela's Ashes was a good story.
Hey guys im in the middle of Hornet Flight and if you havent picked a book yet i highly recomend that you get it cuz its freakin sick. Its about a spy and a whole bunch of ppl that are somehow involved and theres sort of a love story in it. and yes theres RECON. involved but seriously its really good although its long its a breeze to read :)
stricklandmoultonangela'sashes
This book is so depressing! When I first started reading it I considered choosing a different book, but once I got past the first chapter or two I enjoyed it a little more. I liked the descriptive writing style a lot. I could see the rainy town, the sad faces and the poverty clearly in my head. I thought it was a little nuts how they all were so faithful when it came to attending church after all the deaths and hardships the family had experienced.
Even though this book was so sad, it was good because it reminded me that horrible events just like these happen to people every day, we just don't see it here in Cobb County.
StricklandMoultonAngela'sashes
Also I thought nit was amazing that Frank was so good in school despite all the bad things that happened to him. he had an alcoholic father spending the money on booze that was supposed to be spent on food for the family, three of his siblings died, a friend of his that he met in the hospital died, he had to watch his mother beg for food on the streets, and his peers made fun of him and his family for their poverty. It seemed to me that Frank was always worrying about his sins. But at times he had no other choice but to sin. If he didn't steal food there wasn't another way for him to feed himself and his family. Frank is a good kid despite his sins. He doesn't take anything for granted and he is so appreciative of the smallest things, like the time he got offered the job as a messenger boy. Overall, I think this was a good book.
CherfaneAndrewsAngela'sAshes
I really appreciated how the author wrote his story so that the readers could connect to it. Though most of it was somewhat depressing and sad, the distress that the characters went through drew me in and allowed me to feel emotions for them as if we were old friends. I did not particularly love this book, but I am impressed by the author's story and the way he presented it. As far as the actual content of the story is concerned, I would prefer to read a book that leaves me in better spirits after every chapter, rather than feeling sorry for the characters.
Withers / Moulton / Hornet Flight
Hornet Flight used great descriptive language as well as an enthralling plot which on a consistent basis had me staying up late not only for the test-date, but also because it was an enjoyable read.
By using multiple people's point of views, one was able to see everything that could be in question, such as the enemies attack plan, whether or not one was being followed, and even one's emotional feelings toward another.
Every chapter was filled with suspense, which helped the reader be guided through the book as well, for example when Harald decided to take the shortcut through the military base and happened to find out about the radar; you had no idea whether he was going to be shot, escape, or eaten by dogs. And the only was to find out was to keep reading, because you can't go to sleep with that on your mind.
MillerMoultonRebecca
I enjoyed the book "Rebecca". It had a certain suspense, making you constantly wonder whats was going to happen next. I think it was a really bad idea when The Heroin wears Rebecca's dress to the ball, that was just asking for trouble. Maxim is always going to have feelings for Rebecca, who was talented and beautiful, and he can't cover them up; the Heroin is convinced that Maxim will never really love her. I think it was great when the divers found Rebecca and the ship, it was very unexpected when I was reading. When they automatically suspected suicide it really aggrivated me, because we know Maxin really killed her! Even though Rebecca refused Maxin divorce was a bad lady, living a secret life, having sickly relations with her own cousin, he had no right to kill her. It was sickning when Maxim tells the Heroin about Rebecca being pregnant with Favell's child. Maxim did a great job covering up the murder. I don't think anyone ever expected that it was a murder, it was always convinced to be a suicide. When the doctors say that Rebecca had cancer, it basically proves that it was a suiside death, but we know the truth, and so does Favell. I didn't really expect the ending, where the heroin and Maxim restore their marriage, and Rebecca's ghost stops haunting them. Mrs. Danvers in flames after Maxim gets home, kinda creepy.
GoldsberryMoultonRebecca
I did not enjoy reading the book Rebecca. It was a very well written book, it is just not my type of book. the descriptions of the house and features around it basically painted a picture in my mind. it was a sad book and that the main reason why i didn't like it because i felt bad for her the entire book.
MonsonMoultonAngelasAshes
I did not enjoy reading this kind of story. The whole story was depressing to me. The whole story it was raining. The father was an alcholic with out a job. The family had two babies that ended up dieng. The family was very poor, and they lived in a poor flooded house. The family begged and picked up coal on the street. Everyone was very religious during the limric time period. At school the teachers would hit students for almost anything. The boys did some odd things. It was a good story line and showed a different aspect of life. I did not enjoy it that much though because it just put me in a down mood.
HilburnPorterAnglea'sAshes
I would say this book is a very easy read. The short sentence structure made it an easy story to get through. Although I don't usually like reading gloomy books, this one was interesting in its own way. I do feel bad for the children having to deal with a drunk as a father and a lousy mom at times.
Major/Porter/Angela's Ashes
The book, Angela’s Ashes, is a memoir of Frank McCourt. Frank struggles with limitations due to his status in the world, being lower class, and also neglect from his parents. Even though the story was not a bright and cheerful one, because of it's depressing but real nature and gloomy weather, it was still a great read. I could relate to Frank in some parts of the story because I have been in a situation where my family had lots of difficulty with poverty, growing up in New York. Although I did not have an alcoholic parent, I do know what it's like trying to get by and keep your faith during hard times. Frank also struggles with the position of his morality even when he sees and condemns his father, who is much worse. He had to look past the many groups of people that looked down upon him throughout his life because of his lower class status. I, like Frank, kept my head up because eventually he gets out of the situation by earning enough money to leave Ireland. This is a great book to read and has a “happy” ending, but I wouldn't recommend this to someone that doesn’t like to read about the suffering of poverty.
BlanchetteMoultonAngela'sAshes
Frank McCourt's memoir, Angela's Ashes, is one of the most powerful and inspirational books that I have ever read. I can truly relate to McCourt's character because I know what it is like to grow up as a member of the Catholic Church and I understand how it feels to experience your first communion and confirmation. The ways in which McCourt describes the Catholic Church and its leaders are humorous to me because I can relate the characters to people in my life. McCourt’s story is even more powerful to me because of the style in which he writes. He uses well known references and imagery to show the reader what it was like to grow up in Ireland and New York during the Great Depression. The fact that the book is based off of a man's actual childhood is incredible, especially with his alcoholic father leaving the family accompanied with the deaths of many of his younger siblings. Add in his depressed mother and it really is a wonder that he survived growing up at all. Due to the depressing nature of his childhood, I find it amazing that Frank McCourt is able to provide such an inspirational story.
KevinMaddoxAngela'sAshes
Autobiographies (and non-fiction in general) are typically not my kind of book. Angela's Ashes, however, is a bit different. The book tells the story of Frank McCourt's early life in Ireland, living with his siblings and irresponsible parents. Plagued by poverty, sickness, and his father's inability to maintain a job, Frank ends up having to rely on himself to keep his life intact.
McCourt uses descriptive language and heavy imagery to describe his hardships living in Ireland. The book was, no doubt, far more enjoyable than I expected.
Weeks Moulton Angela’s Ashes
Angela’s Ashes, written Frank McCourt, is an amazing book. It can be depressing at times but once you get through the first couple chapters it is and easy read. The way the story is written makes you want to read more. It amazes me the life he lived. For me, I related our society today to the one McCourt lived in. Having to live through extreme poverty his whole childhood along with family deaths and an alcoholic father is hard enough. But taking all his experiences and hard times and creating something positive and being able to create a successful life from the ground up is just amazing.
He being the age he was during that time and taking upon himself the responsibility to take care of his mother and brothers, it floors me how he carried out his life. Going from job to job and learning as much as he could along the way. Though he hit some personal speed bumps, he managed to work through them and continue to work towards what he wanted most. What I admired most was the fact that he didn’t allow his unfortunate childhood to hinder his dreams.
NataleMoultonAngela'sAshes
This book started out very dark and boring. I could not get hooked to it due to all the deaths and depression. After the first few chapters I starting to enjoy it a little more. Frank the main character encounters a lot in such a short time, with all the deaths and dealing with his drunken father. Angela, his mother, is constantly having children and is constantly dealing with there deaths. She is put into a state of depression which kind of puts a damper on her character. Overall this book was just OK. I would not read it again or recommend it to anyone in the future.
MoraAndrewsAllCreaturesGreatandSmall
The fact that many people found this book to be boring still didn't stop me from reading it. I found it to be very light hearting and interesting. I love animals and I learned how strong of a love farmers really do have for their beloved animals. They're not just stock or money makers they become family. When James starting working in the little town of Dinsdale the farmers loathed him, but once they saw how much he truly cared for the animals they warmed up to him quickly. They even started to prefer him than Farnon. Farnon loved his job but at times would send wrong messages and I think he was Bipolar,but hey thats just me. If you’re not an animal lover and get bored really easily don't read this book. If you love animals and have patience for a story that kind of repeats itself you should read it. I really enjoyed it.
KruhmMoultonRebecca
I actually really enjoyed the book Rebecca because it was very suspenseful. I would have never guessed from the beginning that the character Rebecca was actually living a secret life and was very deceitful during her marriage with Maxim. Even though Rebecca lied to Maxim, telling him she was pregnant with her cousin's baby, I still believe he needs to serve justice for murdering her. He completely got away with murder. I think it is very coincidental that it was ruled a suicide. The ending, where The Heroine and Maxim return to Manderley to find it bursting in flames was a very unpredictable ending, definitely putting a twist to the whole book. The novel kind of reminded me of the movie What Lies Beneath with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer, where Michelle starts noticing really weird things happening with her neighbors and with her husband, feeling as if she is being haunted. In both the novel and the movie, they live right on a lake and mysterious things happen, coming to find out that the main male role has secretly killed, the ex-wife or lover, and drowned her dead body in the lake, leaving the deaths very eerie.
Hawkins/Porter/Rebecca
Patel Moulton Angela's Ashes
I thought the book was just okay. What I did like about the book was how well Frank McCourt uses details and symbolism to describe his story, like the use the Limerick rain to symbolize the depressing nature of the book. Overall, I thought that the book was very sad and depressing to see the hardships, like losing his family one by one, and the poverty that Frank's family had to deal with.
bausermoultonangleasashes
I thought that the book was very depressing and long and would not recommend the book to anyone.
Post a Comment